Athletics

Speed is all about running fast. If we don’t ever run fast, we are never going to get faster. The way you need to improve your running performance or speed is speedwork. Speedwork is very important to enhance your form and efficiency at all paces. Basically that I know to improve speed is train your lower body. Speed training is quite tough because makes you uncomfortable, forcing to change breath and, stride and effort.

So today, I will share how can I improve my speed? What I need to do and practice?

 First of all is start with get my body into shape. It’s so obvious the fatter and weight I’m carrying, the slower I will run. I need to train and eat healthy for balanced diet.


Next, sprint more, more and more. All profession sprinters sprint 2-3 times per week. You need to “Grease and Groove” said Pasel Tsatoulline. It is because if I sprint many time in a week, I can make my movement on sprint more natural, efficient and smooth. So I need to do sprint many time in a week like uphill sprint, downhill sprint, 60-meter sprint and more.


Then, acceleration. Acceleration is all about maintaining speed in a period time or for some distance. To improve my acceleration, I need to improve my body angle, created force and splits between my arms and leg into full force.


Furthermore, I need get stronger on my lower body specifically hamstrings and glutes.  For example, do squats rack, leg extension, double leg glutes bridge and more.


Lastly, I need to improve my core strength. Core is an anti-mover. Core is a big stabilizer that assist force production. Force is produce by prime mover and transfer to our core and to other parts of body. Core is for stability. For example, I need to do to improve my core strength like deadlifts, plank, med balls throw and more.


Everyone can sprint faster with the proper technique and training. So, I hope you guys can learn the proper technique and  training to improve your speed. That's all from me. Thank you!

Source: Luke Buchholz (Tips to Improve Acceleration and Sprinting Speed)